Saturday, May 1, 2010

super healthy eating on a low budget and weight loss!

What an interesting week! Thursday was one week since I started learning how to eat healthy on a low budget. Yes, there have been some challenges...such as learning to plan ahead and remembering to eat all three meals plus three snacks. But, I am very pleased with the first week's attempt. I still have lots of food left from last week's shopping and just topped it up this week with $12 worth of goat's milk yogurt, a couple cans of sardines, a can of salmon (on sale), more goat's milk cheese, and some fresh apples.

A side effect to healthy eating...I somehow lost 6 pounds this week...and I wasn't even focusing on this aspect! I really haven't change any other part of my lifestyle...I have been a sedentary as usual!

Well...except for today...a friend and I had free passes to the CN Tower and we climbed stairs, walked miles and miles, and saw the city (and probably most of the province) from the upper observation deck. It was an absolute blast...but I did have to stop once in a while to rest...and I am sure my legs are going to be screaming at me tomorrow. I do not understand the mindset of whoever planned the tower. They would have an elevator for most of the journey up to the observation decks...and then make you climb a set of two of stairs to get there. Why couldn't it have been designed to be more accessible? We also took in that really incredibly fun "motion sensitive" ride that is there. It was an absolute blast and well worth the trip even if you don't take in the tower itself.

So today was not a typical day. I could become really discouraged about the fact that I did have to stop once in a while, but then I realize that a month a go I wouldn't even have attempted such an adventure because I knew I wouldn't be able to walk that far or last that long.

The changes are not going to occur overnight...but they are occurring. I just have to stick with the program and trust. I had a long hot shower when I got home and thought I would climb into bed early, but as usual, I got working on the computer (constructing some of the lectures for the courses I am teaching this summer) and forgot the time. Here it is almost 3 am and I am still not in bed. THAT part hasn't changed!

At least I know that with this new lifestyle I will sleep more soundly and wake up more refreshed than I used to.

I think the key has been to include many more servings of green vegetables, reducing wheat/empty/refined carbs, and drinking lots of water. I also cut down on quite a bit of red meat by substituting with healthy choices of protein such as the quinoa, salba, and sardines. I just have to wrap my head around the idea that plants can also contain protein, since I was raised on the idea that only meat can do this!

I did make a fantastic casserole of minced turkey, quinoa, onions, garlic, carrots, and spinach the other night and it was marvelous but will eventually attempt a "no meat" meal...eventually.

CHALLENGES AND STRATEGIES
I have been craving diet coke but don't want to give into it...so I took an old 2 liter bottle, rinsed it out really well, filled it 3/4 full with nice fresh water, and then topped it off with good quality pomegranate juice. It looks something like coke and it is in a coke bottle, and it actually tastes really well....so I am using this when I really want coke. I think the cravings will eventually go away...it is just habit (especially late at night). I do find that if I do not take in a little caffeine each day, I get a huge headache, so I do have my one cup of coffee in the morning (black, because I can't seem to handle cow's milk very well and haven't been daring enough to try goat's milk...and it tends to be expensive).

TOO MUCH FOOD!
I think the hardest thing to do over this past week is to fit in all the times I am supposed to be eating...especially the snacks. It seems as if I am eating all the time...and yet I still managed to lose 6 pounds. Now, I'm sure part of this is just water from finally not bloating up from empty, highly processed carbs but my joints do feel better and my aches and pains from arthritis throughout my body are much less pronounced.

It is as if this healthy, low cost eating has been a magic arthritis cure! Just the addition of veggies and water seems to make a huge difference. I have been researching this quite a bit lately...go figure...I am a scientist after all...and I think I am piecing together an amazing body of literature that astounds me. All this information is available, but I have never put the pieces together before.

Related to this, recently, friends have been asking my scientific opinion on some of the food/water stories that have been circulating through the internet. I think I will dedicate a blog now and then to one of these topics. Lately, I have answered questions in regards to the "cut onions cure the flu" story, and the alkalized water rage that is currently sweeping North America. Being a physiologist does have its advantages!

I think I will address these two in my next blog...stay tuned!

Another aspect I would like to address in future blogs is the psychological aspect of trying to live on a low budget...the real & perceived lack of choice has a tremendous effect on the psyche.

No comments:

Post a Comment